Scaling up of ethical BioTrade initiatives within phyto-pharmaceutical sector in Vietnam
PERIOD: From 2016- 2020
The project is funded by the European Commission and implemented by HELVETAS Intercooperation gGmbH and CRED. HELVETAS is responsible for managing the project while CRED acts as facilitator, coach and provider of technical and methodological competence.
- 12 small- and medium-sized phyto-pharmaceutical enterprises;
- Ministry of Health, Ministry of Natural Resource and Environment, Ministry of Science and Technology, People’s Committees of selected provinces.
- Vietnamese phyto-pharmaceutical enterprises strengthened to supply national and international markets with EBT products;
- National and International consumers demand for BioTrade products from Vietnam stimulated;
- More than 5,000 smallholder farmers and collectors supported to increase livelihoods through EBT value chains and stable supplies to EBT enterprises;
- An enabling policy and regulatory framework for BioTrade initiatives lobbied for sustainable growth of the phyto-pharmaceutical sector in Vietnam.
- The business model of Ethical Biotrade of Natural Ingredient products will be scaled up to new SMEs in phyto-pharmaceutical and natural cosmetic sector;
- SMEs will apply for and become members of the Union of Ethical BioTrade;
- Farmer Field School approach is applied as the main method to build technical capacities at farmers’ level;
- All value chain actors will receive training on Access and Benefit Sharing mechanism with a special focus on farmer groups;
- Strategic communication and marketing campaigns and consumers will develop awareness on sustainable business models, EBT concept and EBT products.
- Strategic cooperation with National Institute of Medicinal Materials (NIMM) and 14 SMEs in phyto-pharmaceutical sector;
- A long-term communication strategy for raising public awareness on BioTrade with the launch of a 4 year campaign named “BioTrade – Goods from nature. Good for nature”;
- More than 3000 smallholder farmers joined 30 EBT value chains and stable supplies to EBT enterprises;
- An enabling policy and regulatory framework for BioTrade initiatives is stimulating the sustainable growth of the phyto-pharmaceutical sector in Vietnam.