CRED is a co-implementer with HELVETAS in the implementation of BioTrade project “Scaling up of Ethical BioTrade initiatives within phyto-pharmaceutical sector in Vietnam”. This offers CRED’s expertise in:
- Analysis and implementation of the natural ingredients’ value chains, considering local capacities and market requirements;
- Promotion of Organic, BioTrade, GACP-WHO certificates in various commodities including natural ingredients, spices, tea, essential oils, etc.
- Support actors of the selected value chains in market intelligence and assessment of market opportunities;
- Advises to SMEs to develop systems including Internal Control System (ICS) to comply to the requirements of BioTrade, Organic, etc. and the respective action plans;
- Advice national and international enterprises on ABS (Access and Benefit Sharing) compliance;
Act as guarantee organization to international entities in the process of ABS application.
HOW WE WORK
- Support enterprises to integrate international standards in production and quality management to meet the increasing demand, given the context of globalization and world integration. The standards include GACP-WHO, Organic, UTZ, Ethical BioTrade, etc.;
- Enhance the quality of input supplies to enterprises.
- Apply green technology in cultivation and processing the medicinal and aromatic plants to reduce carbon dioxide n to the environment.
- Strengthen the linkages between enterprises and farmers in natural ingredient value chains;
- Strengthen the linkages between enterprises and markets both domestic and international;
- Strengthen business among BioTrade enterprises.
- Promote a legal framework in favor of sustainable sourcing and processing of natural ingredients;
- Advocate local authorities for enabling policies to attract investments into natural ingredients sector;
- Support the Government of Vietnam in the implementation of Access and Benefit Sharing Scheme within the frame of Nagoya Protocol and Conservation of Biological Diversity.
The Project of “Upscaling of Ethical BioTrade Initiatives within phyto- pharmaceutical industry in Vietnam” (referred to as BioTrade EU) has been launched since April 2016 and will end by September 2020. The project is funded by European Union, implemented by Helvetas Vietnam and the Center for Rural Economy Development (CRED).
This BioTrade EU Project aims to upscale the sustainable Ethical BioTrade business model to the Natural Ingredient sector of Vietnam while improving processing at the source, increasing the energy efficiency of value chains.
The above is proven by quantified measures in BioTrade value chain as below:
- There are 28 companies have received training on EBT compliant standard training including organic and GACP-WHO with 6788 households are trained. There are 38 value chains have applied EBT compliant production practices. The certified area is 3095 ha.
- A BioTrade community of those interested in natural medicinal herbs and BioTrade certification has been established, attracting more and more followers, see biotrade.com.vn . So far, there are about 30,000 followers and BioTrade messages were sent out to reach more than 12 m consumers in Vietnam;
- As a result of investment in EBT model, an annual reduction of 4,811 tons of CO2 emission and 382 tons of material loss has been achieved;
- Vietroselle and Vien Minh are two companies will be assessed and audited to identify the non-conformities in accordance to Ethical BioTrade standard in August 2020. Then they are being supported to develop work plan for becoming UEBT trading members.
- The Project’s strategy in the Year 4 is to consolidate the existing value chains and not to expand EBT compliant standards to new SMEs.