The Regional Biotrade Project phase II has its roots in the Biotrade Initiative, started by UNCTAD to support the objectives of the Convention on Biological Diversity and now being embraced by some segments of the private sector and certain governments globally. The project is funded by the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs – SECO and implemented by HELVETAS Vietnam and Center for Rural Economy Development – CRED. Implementation period from 01.09.2020-31.08.2024
- Vietnam Organic Agriculture Association – VOAA
- Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT) – Representiative office in Southeast Asia
The overall objective of the Project is “Conservation of through sustainable trade of biodiversity products in a manner that integrates local exporters / producers into global value chains and increased income for the rural population women and men that depending on biodiversity resources for their livelihoods in the Mekong region” by focusing on the following three specific objectives:
- Trade between companies buying and selling sustainably produced natural ingredients is effectively intermediated, with efficient flows of information, continuous matchmaking, quality export promotion services and buyers actively investing in sustainable sourcing.
- Biotrade exporting companies improve their supply chains in ways that contribute to biodiversity, and to social and economic equality business processes and management capacities required to expand into new markets and to deal with the rapid growth that results.
- Expanded media coverage and increased communications raise awareness about Biotrade, driving continuous crowding-in by new buyers and sellers of natural ingredients and influencing policy makers to build Biotrade into environmental, economic and trade policies.
Using the Market Systems Development (MSD) approach, the Project works with market system actors such as Business support organizations (BSO), private service providers, consultants to achieve the following outcomes:
- Efficiently link buyers and sellers of BioTrade products
- Improve management capacities & supply chains of companies following BioTrade principles
- Increase awareness of BioTrade to foster an enabling environment for BioTrade production and consumption
This Regional Biotrade Project phase II aims to Upscaling of the Biotrade model of production and trade of biodiversity-derived products will lead to socially, economically and environmentally sustainable growth of more competitive SMEs, conserving biodiversity and increasing incomes and employment opportunities for rural women and men:
- At least 7,600 of women and men with new or additional income from producing or collecting and selling Biotrade products
- At least 6,000,000 USD in trade turnover increased for Biotrade products exported from Vietnam
- At least 80% of Biotrade companies where senior managers believe improved business processes and management practices have significantly contributed to export growth
- At least 7,600 of women and men participating in value chains that operate in line with Biotrade principles
- At least 1 government, regional intergovernmental organizations or national institutions that include Biotrade in strategies, plans or activities.